PBS is a whole school approach to:
- build positive behaviour programs and strategies
- develop a consultative and collaborative community-owned process
- build a consistent approach to positive behaviour expectations
- develop common language and understanding of positive behaviour
- develop procedures for responding to behaviour errors, with a focus on re-teaching
- use discipline data to help:
- track progress
- identify areas for intervention
- track the effectiveness of interventions.
Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) is a whole school framework that uses proactive, positive approaches in supporting students to learn and develop positive behaviours around social interactions and academic engagement. PBS is a research based, tailored approach that looks to meet the needs of the whole school as well as supporting individuals in more personalised programs.
PBS is more than just this approach though, it is an ethos and feeling that runs through the school and creates a positive environment where staff and students feel supported and acknowledged for the part they play in developing our school community.
As part of our community wide PBS process we have established three clear and positive values that guide the behaviour of staff, students, parents and community members;
MESC BEHAVIOUR EXPECTATIONS
Be Safe Be Kind Be Your Best
To support students in developing and showing these behaviours in all aspects of their daily life students;
- Are explicitly taught
- Are frequently acknowledged and encouraged
- Provided with common language across the school
Students are actively taught new positive behaviours, provided the opportunity to practice these behaviours and then are acknowledged when they display these behaviours. Behaviours are reinforced in all areas of the school and when out in the community. They are repeated to provide all students with the maximum opportunity to learn and embed the new behaviour/s.
Our PBS Matrix, which has been developed by our school community, gives an outline of expected behaviours and PBS values which can be replicated at home. We reinforce students in a number of verbal, non-verbal and tangible ways when they are displaying our values and expectations.